How is it that if life hits you, it hits you as hard as possible and doesn’t even bother with just one blow. Recently there have been some significant changes in my life, and as usual it’s both sad and opening up new doors at the same time. I can count myself lucky to have such good friends (you know who you are) and a grandma with a big heart and always open arms. Crisis also helps you recognize who is there for you and who isn’t, which is a good thing I suppose.
My exams are over and in about a week I will start my journey to Canada, another exciting chapter in my life. I love to experience new things, get to know new places and learn new ways of life. Oh and eating my way through Toronto and Ottawa isn’t so bad either I guess. I will let you know about my favourite vegan places there soon.
For now I try not to dwell on circumstances and just try to be as content as possible. This yellow, bright and happy Zucchini Tart certainly does the deed! I haven’t posted a tart in a while and all the gorgeous summer vegetables just kept screaming at me. This Zucchini Tart is not new to my kitchen, I’ve been prepping it a few times already. It is basically just a variation of the Cheesy Potato Tart I did about a year ago. Just a few changes to the filling and a different topping obviously. I just love that hazelnut crust, never change a winning team! Zucchinis are in season right now and utterly delicious and flavourful. Make sure to grab some organic ones from the market, the taste difference is huge! Obviously you could use only the normal green kind as well, but yellow zucchini surely makes for eye candy!
For the crust:
75 g all purpose flour
75 g wholewheat flour
20 g hazelnuts, grounded
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
80 g vegan butter
For the cashew cheese:
100 g cashews
2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 pinch of black pepper
100 ml water
1/4 bunch chives
For the topping:
1/2 yellow zucchini
1/2 green zucchini
1/2 red onion
1 pinch of sea salt and black pepper
1. Soak the cashews over night or at least for two hours in water.
2. Add all the dry ingredients for the crust to a bowl and mix well. Add the butter and knead until you get a smooth dough. Store it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Drain and rinse the cashews. Combine all the ingredients for the cashew cheese except the chives in a blender and pulse until you get a thick and creamy sauce. Add a little bit more water if needed. Mince the chives and stir in.
4. Wash your zucchini and cut them evenly into very thin slices. Peel the onion and cut it into thin rings.
5. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Butter or oil the tart pan and line it with the dough (you can roll it out before lining the pan, I just use my fingers to spread it). Pierce it with a fork several times.
6. Place parchment paper on the dough and dried peas or beans on top. Let it blind bake for about 15 minutes.
7. Take the crust out of the oven, remove the parchment paper and peas/beans. Spread the cashew cheese evenly on top. Layer the zucchini and onions on top and season generously.
8. Bake for 30 more minutes. The tart is ready when the crust is golden and the zucchini starts to get crisp. Let it cool off for about 10 minutes after you take it out, then enjoy.