Autumn is here, the season of Pumpkin Spice Latte, Apple Pie, and staying indoors with a big cup of tea and a good book. I’m a big fan of curling up on my couch in comfy flannel pyjamas and not changing or leaving the house all day. I would lose all sense of time if my cats wouldn’t be so kind to remind me of feeding time every now and then. It feels like ages ago that I last read a book for pure pleasure. The new Harry Potter book has been sitting on my bookshelf for months now, an unthinkable thing if you know me well. Right now I’m struggling to finish Bleak House for a Dickens seminar starting next week, and to be honest – it’s kind of tedious. Can’t wait to move on to A Christmas Carol at the end of this year, though!
Baking is what brings perfection to a chilly autumn day and the seasonal fruits are sweet and rich in flavour. I wanted to bake something quick, easy and comforting. Galettes are a great option, because they are incredibly easy to make and don’t afford a lot of time and effort. They are not about perfection, on the contrary, the charm lies in the rustic, nearly careless complexion. I’ve seen people creating the perfect round shaped galette – please don’t do that. Let it show it’s individual and special gorgeousness.
I filled it with the sweetest pears I could find, perfectly ripe and beautiful representatives of autumn. Because galettes can be dry, I decided to drizzle it with a sweet and flavourful pumpkin spice icing, a worthy and fun element of every true autumn dish, and quickly wrapped it up.
For the dough:
200 gram spelt flour
100 gram cold butter
2 tablespoon raw sugar
1 pinch of salt
50 milliliter cold water
For the filling:
2 small pears, sweet and ripe
1 tablespoon raw sugar
1 tablespoon butter
For the icing:
60 gram icing sugar
2 teaspoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon almond milk
1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice
1. Combine all the ingredients for the dough except the water in a food processor and combine, than add the water to form a dough. Wrap in foil and put in the freezer for 15 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 220°C. Wash and core your pears, then thinly slice them up.
3. Roll out the dough thinly between two sheets of parchment paper. Fan out the pears in the middle and sprinkle with the raw sugar, top with a few flakes of butter, then fold over the edge.
4. Bake for 30 minutes until the dough is browned and the pears are caramelized.
5. While baking, prepare the icing by adding all the ingredients to your food processor.
6. Remove the galette, drizzle with the icing and enjoy!