I already told you about our lovely holiday home in a place called Apfeldorf (translation: Apple Village). Of course there have to be apple trees and there are, there certainly are! Todays Vegan MoFo prompt is “It’s cold and rainy and there’s a snow drift outside your door! What are you going to make using the ingredients you have?”. I decided to use some of my apples from our own garden. They might not be the prettiest ones but they are darn delicious. Crisp, slightly sour and sweet the same time. Autumn is being so good to me already.
This tart is truly decadent and special. It has a nutty wholemeal crust which is filling and satisfying, a rich and creamy almond yogurt and homemade hazelnut butter filling and maple infused apples seasoned with nutmeg, cardamom and cinnamon on top. To me this Hazelnut Maple Apple Tart is autumn through and through and pretty much the best cake I ever made. Also the basic ingredients are what I always have in my pantry. I quickly made the hazelnut butter before, by roasting the hazelnuts for about 10 minutes, then letting them cool off and pulse them in a blender. I suggest you to buy a bunch of apples at a farmers market since they’re cheaper that way and you can store them easily for a few weeks at a cool and dry place. Also you never know when the apple pie craving is gonna hit you so it’s good to have them at hand.
For the crust:
120 g wholemeal flour
30 g hazelnut, ground
50 g raw sugar
85 g vegan butter
1 pinch of salt
For the filling:
50 g vegan butter, soft
30 g powdered sugar
1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
25 g cornstarch
250 g almond yogurt (can be replaced with natural or vanilla flavour)
100 g hazelnut butter
For the topping:
2 medium sized apples
3 tablespoon maple syrup
1 pinch of cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg
1. Prepare the dough by combining all the ingredients in a large bowl. I recommend you to use a fork to mix the ingredients to make sure the warmth of your hands won’t melt the butter. Put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
2. In the mean time prepare the filling. With a hand mixer whisk the butter and powdered sugar for a few minutes until white and creamy. Then add the lemon zest and juice, as well as the cornstarch. In the end add the yogurt and hazelnut butter and set aside.
3. Wash the apples and slice them into thin even wedges. In a medium sized bowl add the maple syrup and spices and mix everything until well combined.
4. Butter a tart pan and spread the dough evenly. You can either roll it out or carefully distribute it with your fingers. Fill in the cream, then top it with the apples.
5. Bake at 190°C for 45 minutes. Let it cool off completely before you slice it.