About a decade ago I suddenly caught a fever for England, especially London. I think it came from a serious overdose in Victorian novels. Back then I wasn’t vegan and very much enjoyed a good English breakfast. Even though I’ve always been craving sweet dishes for breakfast, this was my only exception for whenever I got the chance to visit the UK. During a subway ride just a couple of days ago I thought about what to eat for a late breakfast and the dish slowly assembled in my head. Those Breakfast Potato Nests are definitely not even close to a classic English breakfast, but it is inspired by it. It is a hearty and delicious breakfast/brunch/lunch/appetizer.
I still had potatoes at home, which I spiralized and baked until crispy. A baked tomato is a classic component – I decided to top it with my aromatic homemade Walnut Parmesan. Some freshly prepared simple guacamole helps to keep this little tower intact and is a creamy and delicious addition to balance out the crispy potatoes. It’s not too bad on the eye as well I dare say, which makes the dish perfect for a brunch with friends or family.
For the Potato Nests:
6 small potatoes
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 pinch of sea salt, black pepper and smoked paprika
For the Guacamole:
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 pinch of salt and black pepper
For the Baked Tomato:
6 medium sized tomatoes
6 teaspoon Walnut Parmesan
1. Preheat oven to 220°C.
2. Scrub the potatoes clean, then spiralize and transfer to a bowl. Add olive oil and seasonings and stir until everything’s evenly coated. Form six nests on a baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes until golden and crispy.
3. Wash tomatoes and cut in half. Top with each a teaspoon of walnut parmesan, put on a baking sheet and put into the oven as well.
4. Cut up a ripe avocado, mash and add lime juice and seasoning. Set aside.
5. Once the potato nests are crispy and golden and the tomatoes are baked and the walnut parmesan on top got some colour, remove from the oven.
6. Assemble by dividing the guacamole on top of the potato nests and finish with each a baked tomato. Enjoy!